Recipe: Lemon Garlic Slow Cooker Chicken Soup (and It’s Gluten Free and Paleo too!)
This Lemon Garlic Slow Cooker Chicken Soup Recipe will be a hit with adults and kids alike.
I came up with this recipe when I was in the supermarket and was planning to make a pot roast. My store was out of grass-fed chuck roasts, however, and so I had to scratch that idea and come up with something else. Free range organic chicken was available, so I created this recipe on the fly. The great news is, that it turned out awesome.
This soup is now part of our usual rotation of recipes in my family.
Gathering up a collection of easy and delicious meals can be hard to do, so when we find something we like, I’m always excited. Even though we love our usual recipes, the kids can get tired of them quickly, and so I am constantly on the hunt for new recipes that my family will feel excited to eat.
Easy and versatile
What’s nice about this recipe is that it really is easy. You can make prep it all in the morning before you leave for work or you could even prep it the night before and just dump it all in the slow cooker before you walk out the door.
It is versatile and you can be flexible with the directions to suit what works best for you. Use whatever veggies you want and change it up. Peas, corn, celery, onions, carrots, cauliflower, red peppers, green peppers, even beans – really, anything works!
This recipe can be halved if you don’t want to make quite so much. I always like to make double what I think we would normally eat, and then use the leftovers for the next night or for thermos lunches that week.
I use an oversized All-Clad 6.5 Quart Slow Cooker and I love it beyond what words can express. This larger size is so wonderful for creating extra food to keep as leftovers so that I can plan two-night’s dinners at once. It is also great for when we are have extra family over. I highly recommend this slow cooker. I purchased mine at Williams-Sonoma at least 10 years ago (and subsequently got one for my mom too!) but they are also available on Amazon via the link right above.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and that it becomes one of your standards in your recipe rotation!
Here’s the Lemon Garlic Slow Cooker Chicken Soup Recipe
- 3 – 4 pounds chicken breasts (sliced)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano (can use fresh if preferred)
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley (can use fresh if preferred)
- Note, you can use whatever spices you have on hand or none at all. After cooking all day in the slow cooker, anything you put in there will be delicious.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Chicken Base Better Than Bouillon
- 4 garlic cloves minced, plus several more whole if you love garlic
- 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 2 large lemons)
- 1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt (or sea salt or Himalayan salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Chicken broth
- Vegetables of your choice
- Optional: Serve over rice, noodles or diced potatoes
1. First, combine oregano, parsley, salt, pepper, olive oil, Better Than Bouillon, and minced garlic in a bowl. Stir well to be sure the Better Than Bouillon is fully integrated.
I also love these All-Clad Stainless Steel nesting bowls almost as much as I love my All-Clad Slow Cooker. They are lightweight, and easy to use. The handle on the side makes stirring quite a lovely experience – you can get down in there and get good leverage on whatever you’re mixing. They are also dishwasher safe. I highly recommend them as well. Link to the bowls is above.
2. You can slice your chicken however you want really. This time around I sliced it about 1/2 inch wide (see picture below). You can also cube it to make each piece more flavorful, and you can also leave the breasts whole if you’re in a rush. If you do leave it whole, simply break it up with a fork after it is cooked – do that right within your slow cooker – and stir it around in your slow cooker to integrate the flavors of the sauce more fully.
3. Add the sliced chicken to the mixture in your bowl and combine well, tossing the chicken so that it is evenly coated.
On to the slow cooker!
4. Transfer the coated chicken into your slow cooker.
5. Sprinkle any extra whole garlic cloves (if you please) on the top – this part is optional and you can remove them later (or not) after the chicken is cooked.
6. Next, add any veggies you like and cover with chicken broth. Note, if you like your veggies to be more crisp, you can also cook your veggies separately and add a the end.
7. Cook your garlic lemon chicken soup on low for 6 to 8 hours or longer if you can’t make it back. All good.
Finally, remove the extra garlic cloves (unless your family likes them) and serve your Lemon Garlic Slow Cooker Chicken Soup on it’s own or over rice, noodles, or potatoes. (Served on it’s own, it is a gluten free paleo recipe!)